Monday, January 12, 2015

Of Mice and Men

We live in the sticks. There are spiders, snakes, rodents, bugs. None of which I am particularly fond of.  It has been nice to not see any of those creatures since the cold weather and snow have come.  Last night my husband and I had settled into bed, drifting to sleep, when the cat started racing around erratically.  My whole body tensed.  Was she chasing a mouse?  God, I hoped not.  My husband rolled over and asked if I had locked the door.  "Umm, no." I laid still hoping he would get up to lock it.  He asked if I could get it.  I shot straight up.  "No!  There could be a mouse! Lily is running around all crazy!"  He groaned.  Told me I was being ridiculous and I should get up and lock the door.  "Grab your phone for me! I need to see!" My phone was out of reach, as was the light switch.  My husband mumbled something and gave me his phone so I could use it as a light.  I quickly scanned the room for both Lily and the potential mouse.  No sign of a mouse.  I ran to the light switch and rescanned the room with the light on.  Still in the clear.  I ran to the front door, locked it, and ran back to bed.  My husband poked fun at me.  "Remember what happened a couple years ago?" I asked him.  He nodded and laughed. 
A few years ago we were in bed, sound asleep.  I woke when I heard the cat, but didn't think anything of it, and rolled over with my back to the door, falling back to sleep.  Apparently Lily was playing with a mouse, tossing it around and then retrieving it.  Well, she threw that mouse pretty forcefully and I felt it hit me with a thump in the middle of my back.  I freaked.  I screamed.  I sat straight up, waking my husband.  He jumped out of bed asking what was wrong. "A MOUSE!" I screamed.  "IT'S ON THE BED!"  Like a good husband, he started ripping the covers off until the mouse fell to the floor.  He told me it was just a little mouse. I shivered.  It didn't matter how big or small it was,  "It hit me in the back!"  My husband just laughed.  I made us change the sheets and blankets before we went back to bed, my husband quickly falling asleep as I laid with one eye open all night. 
Needless to say, my husband doesn't let me live that down.  But, somehow, I feel this incident justifies any irrational behavior if I suspect a mouse around....

No comments:

Post a Comment