Saturday, January 31, 2015

Boots

Being a woman, I have quite a few options for footwear.  Winter months limit the selection somewhat, but there are still plenty to choose from.  However, not all of these footwear options are really all that practical.  I suppose your profession also plays a part as to the functionality of your footwear choices.  Such as when I worked at the hospital I was most often seen in my Danskos, which I rarely wear now (let's just forget the fact that I live in my slippers now when I'm at home).  There are plenty of practical winter footwear choices: sneakers, muck boots, work boots, winter boots, snowshoes....  One I have yet to mention that I find no real functionality are the pretty boots.  All of us women have them.  Yes, they look cute with skinny jeans, skirts, dresses, etc., but they are just not practical in this winter weather.  They do not keep our feet warm and are no match for ice and snow.  So, after wearing my winter boots to shovel the walkways while my car warmed up last night, what was it that I grabbed to wear out to dinner with the girls? Yup, my pretty boots.  I threw them on (ok, really I took about 10 minutes unzipping and zipping about 7 different zippers to get them on) and marched out the door.  I started down the steps and immediately went down all four and onto my butt.  I yelled out a certain four letter word and then cursed my decision to wear skinny jeans thus requiring my pretty boots. I gingerly got up, dusted off the snow, and walked cautiously to the car. I debated calling to cancel.  My hip and wrist were throbbing, but I decided not to let my poor choice of shoes ruin a night out with friends.  I was glad I didn't cancel.  It was a great night- delicious food, fantastic drink (also my first scorpion bowl!), and fabulous company celebrating a dear friend.  I guess it is true that we learn something (new) everyday, and for me that was to definitely be more aware of the functionality of my attire!

No comments:

Post a Comment