Thursday, January 8, 2015

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

It's January. We have subzero temps and a two hour delay from school.  This is New England.  We should all be used to this yet we gripe about these weather conditions every year.  That being said, I am not a fan of the extreme cold.  I've lived in New England all my life, but I think living with my grandparents for a couple years with the thermostat set at 74 and then having a third floor apartment where it was 70 without having to turn on my own heat has thinned my blood a little.  Don't get me wrong, my home is not currently a balmy paradise where one would mistake for being in the tropics. We try to keep the thermostat down in the winter, only keeping it raised if there's a threat of lost power or frozen pipes. I have learned to dress appropriately, layering up and loving my wool and flannel this time of year.  This cold makes me appreciate that I can work from the comfort of my warm home.  This time last year I was working the streets, delivering mail no matter the weather.  With cold weather, layers were imperative; both thermals and under armour, neck warmers, hats, toe and hand warmers all in place before going to the route.  Often told by customers "At least you have heat in your vehicle" and "I'm sure there's four wheel drive in that thing," causing a suppressed laugh because the defrost gave little "heat" at all and the LLV is a sled in the snow or ice.  It's chilling weather like this that makes me appreciate my husband that much more as he works delivering mail, allowing me to stay home to do what I love (well, paperwork for the business is not quite what I love, but it still has to get done) and spend that extra time with the kiddo before taking her to school.  Cold weather like this makes me appreciate our local farmers who have farm chores to do regardless of the temperatures so that we can have eggs, milk, meats, etc.  This kind of weather that makes me appreciate anyone in an occupation that requires them to be outdoors.  So if we happen to venture outside on this frigid day and see someone who is working in this glacial weather, thank them and let them know we all appreciate their dedication and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment